Wednesday, November 12, 2008

In Which I Drive To Carolina in One Fell Swoop

Waking up at 5am, sun rises over hard glitter of Upstate New York, day becomes full on as Pennsylvania takes over, high overhead for a glimmer of Maryland, West Virginia a surprise, then Virginia, Virginia....300 exits of Virginia, sun setting over Virginia, wishing like hell that Virginia would do us all a favor and turn into North Carolina. Sun set, evening blends into night as the first sign of North Carolina appear in the headlights. The radio says, 47, 48, patches of fog in places. A stint on the blue ridge parkway, the road to Boone becomes narrow, dark, winding. 17 hours after leaving Vermont later I'm pulling through the small town and taking a right on Straight street. The car lurches as I let the gas out before turning the key all the way. I fly out of the car and into the driveway and Will hugs me, lifts me off the pavement.

No comments: