Thursday, March 28, 2013

the reptile zoo BBQ remains a mystery

Well, now that that pounding thing in my chest is mended(ish) and the head is clear (the ego is still in recovery), I can get back to the real mission of my life, which is to have a nice time, be outside, and enjoy some barbecue every now and then. 

All the rest? Well, I'm sure it will come around again. But for now it's just me and some choice girls and boys going exploring, working our jobs and drinking some good beer when we can, and not everything is fraught with emotion, which is refreshing.

That said, it was time for a good old fashioned day trip. Nothing too crazy, just the things we like to do. 
Megan and I had ourselves some spring skiing on Monday. (Megan who is loud and funny and occasionally needs a helicopter evacuation after she thinks she's been stung by a bee, even though she's not allergic to bees. She reminds me of a little lion.)
The pass was blazing warm in the sun and the snow was sticky and loud. Hard to believe it was only two days since I'd been out in the brown, scrubby desert, sunning like a lizard and dodging rock fall from above. Then I blinked, and there we were, immersed in cobalt skies and pine trees, burying ourselves in diamond snow to cool off. There was a warm wind and hillsides of powder. My shoulder is hobbling along and when I took one big wipe out and lost both skis and one pole, I managed to roll onto my right side instead of my left, no harm done. 

I felt like the luckiest son of a bitch on the planet
****
On the last run of the day, we got really jazzed up about pie. I'm not sure how it started, but we were talking about it, all the flavors and different types of toppings, we were really getting into it. On the drive home we realized we were adults and we could eat pie whenever we damn well chose, so we decided to really grab life by the balls and stop at the bakery. I ordered a piece of peanut butter silk and it could have won the award for saddest excuse for a good thing ever. It was made with pure Crisco and not much else; it stuck to the roof of your mouth. A huge disappointment. I saved it for later that evening, when I was two beers in and half an article down, and I ate it without even noticing.   
Finally, there's this snake zoo that we pass every time we go skiing, or paddle the Skykomish river, or climb in Leavenworth. They boast 10 of the world's deadliest snakes, and a two headed turtle that swims in its own tank. Also, the Reptile Zoo BBQ school bus is parked outside, which could serve brisket or could serve snake, we're not sure. We always talk about it and we never stop. But this time, since we're holding life by the balls, we gave it a try. The sign said OPEN. We were giddy. But we couldn't find anyone around to help us. We drove away scratching our heads. The place remains a great mystery to us all. 
And that's it! An account of one nice day of easy living. Simple as it should be.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I like reading about your normal days! Even a normal day for you is still an adventure for most of us. Loved the post.

Angie and the new life said...

This normal day was a pleasure to read about. It brings normal life to the front and reminds that the simple pleasures like pie when it's not normal to eat is something akin to grabbing the balls of life or how ever you put that. I can't fully concentrate on this comment cause I have a nearly two year old crawling all over me with a rooster in her hands saying "a-cock-dock-cock-a-doo-doo" but just know that I really enjoyed this post.

Katie said...

The Reptile Zoo is actually really cool... definitely try again to check it out next time you pass through. Pretty much all the animals are rescues, and it's just kind of crazy. Have never tried the BBQ, however.

Tammy B said...

I want to know about the BBQ on the Git-er-done bus! You have to go back. I was disappointed for you, because your pie wasn't great. Next time go with a fruit pie. Those are hard to mess up :)

SmithShack71 said...

Glad no harm done on the wipe out! Gah, that would've sucked.
That last pic is pretty awesome.

-Angie

Emily Hackethorn said...

This post is so refreshing! Thank you- the kind of attitude I need before busting out a bunch of teacher-work so I can enjoy Spring break in Colorado! Living vicariously through you once more. Peace!

Jacki said...

I love the "have your photo taken WITH A REPTILE!"

WITH A REPTILE, GUYS.

Cheers to feeling like the luckiest son of a bitch on the planet. I've decided that's a feeling worth chasing :)

Seeing Each Day said...

I've been thoroughly enjoying reading your words. - thank you, Renee.

Susan Kessler said...

You stream a few of these normal days together, and they start to look extraordinary.

Craftysquirrel said...

Spring skiing - oh yes nice and simple. Now I am intrigued by the reptile park - since I live on the other side of the world I just have to hope you go back to sample that BBQ and take more pics.

Cecily said...

The reptile zoo bbq is effing amazing. Definitely make it happen next time...the ribs, my god, the ribs. WANT. The turkey leg isn't worth it, though. Better to use that belly space for more ribs, and maybe some cornbread.